Home » LucasArts Forums » Other Discussion » LucasArts General Discussion

Thread: Star Wars Galaxies: The One and Only Discussion Thread [TDE]

Permlink Replies: 1,321 - Pages: 67 [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 67 | Next ] - Last Post: Feb 8, 2014 9:04 AM Last Post By: lcpteck Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
JYCowboy

Re: Star Wars Galaxies: The One and Only Discussion Thread [TDE]
Posted: Jul 16, 2012 12:13 PM   in response to: xoham in response to: xoham
    Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this post Reply
@xoham

Yeah, I did a FB search and found 3 different pages. I Liked them all. Thx for offering :)
xoham

Posted: Jul 16, 2012 8:46 AM   in response to: JYCowboy in response to: JYCowboy
Sorry, I tried a number of times to paste the Facebook link in, but it doesn't work. The facebook page is still there and should show up with a google search.

google search
JYCowboy

Posted: Jul 16, 2012 6:35 AM   in response to: xoham in response to: xoham
@xoham

Well, that didn't last long. Is there another page?
xoham

Posted: Jul 15, 2012 5:06 PM   in response to: d17218a62bd24ca... in response to: d17218a62bd24ca...
GA_Wulfman

Posted: Jul 12, 2012 2:59 PM   in response to: d17218a62bd24ca... in response to: d17218a62bd24ca...
9 years old and still the best MMO ever created. Yes, many mistakes were made in the directional decisions for the game, but in the end it was still the ....

greatest saga ever been told .... YOURS

Edited by: GA_Wulfman on Jul 12, 2012 3:06 PM
xoham

Posted: Jul 10, 2012 12:38 PM   in response to: JYCowboy in response to: JYCowboy
I'm pretty sure there are plenty of people that would love for SWG to still be around and actively improved. I loved what they had and want more.

More being:
-PvP and non-PvP space combat outcomes affect the planets below. For instance, if the EMpire wins something, they can then land some AT-ATs and stomp around on the planet below for a while.
-Atmospheric flight and combat, somehow organized not to be griefing.
-Droids do more automation for you.
-More vehicles and multi-seat
-Architects get to make consumable platforms for harvesters so they can be used anywhere.
-High density housing and markets.
-Make official system for player auctions
-And all the other good ideas from the forums.

No other game offered the crafting and immersion of this one, even with its old technology. I would so love to watch an organized cantina band right now or go prospecting for good resources. In the words of Fry "shutup and take my money!"
JYCowboy

Posted: Jul 4, 2012 9:54 PM   in response to: Char Ell in response to: Char Ell
Yes, Char Ell that was IMHO. Believe it or not, I am very happy that SWG got made and I commited eight years to playing it. I miss my beloved game but would hope that a faithful sequal would be considered. I, however, have grown pestimistic and bitter to what I have seen in relation to franchise I follow and the markets it invests. The term: Lowest common denominator keeps springing to mind. All of this use to be the greatest games had the best possible interest in fun and achievement. Now its a matter of making the highest yeild on the lowest investment margin.

That said, thank you for monitoring this thread.
Char Ell

Posted: Jul 4, 2012 6:58 PM   in response to: JYCowboy in response to: JYCowboy
To be clear, JYCowboy's previous post is his opinion and should not necessarily be construed as the official position of LucasArts. I am not aware of any official statements from LucasArts as to their view of the viability of Star Wars in the MMORPG market segment.

Let's keep the discussion to SWG please.

lucasarts.com terms of use
Forum Rules
Who are the Moderators?
JYCowboy

Posted: Jul 4, 2012 3:44 PM   in response to: JediWantToBe2 in response to: JediWantToBe2
@ JediWantToBe2

LA is required to turn profit in a Short Term cycle reguardless of policy. If a Star Wars product can't perform close to the top brand in that given market, then it is looked appon as a failure, reguardless of performance. Since Freemium or F2P has started to dominate the MMO space, Lucas Arts is forced to consider other genere for large investment. TOR was started in a time before F2P took off. There for its release was a follow through on that investment. Underperforming sealed its fate and lack of interest from involved parties is going to doom its future development. Expect more to come from Star Wars 1313 as MMORPG's are dead to Lucas Arts.
JediWantToBe2

Posted: Jul 4, 2012 7:48 AM   in response to: d17218a62bd24ca... in response to: d17218a62bd24ca...
Is there any word if SWG will come back or is it a hopeless thing? I never understood why it did just become free to play with Microtransactions if thats what there called...

Edited by: JediWantToBe2 on Jul 4, 2012 7:51 AM
Dr_Brody

Posted: Jun 29, 2012 1:06 AM   in response to: d17218a62bd24ca... in response to: d17218a62bd24ca...
Today, I unsubbed from "The Old Republic".
Sorry LucasArts, but what Bioware delivered is unbearable and not worth a sub longer than one or two months.

Seriously, SWG, a nearly 10 year old MMO was lightyears ahead of TOR in every aspect except "voiceovers and story".

TOR is fundamentally flawed and I doubt it can be fixed. This is just a mediocre attempt on copying WOW mechanics, it does not resemble the vast worlds of Star Wars. I miss the SWG sandbox, the vast planets and a whole galaxy to explore. In TOR you are riding on a predefined linear track though lackluster, dead and corridor-like planets and when the story is over, itīs over. That game screams lazy design and mediocrity all over.

Please do something about it. But I donīt think this can be fixed, only if they would completely redesign it, which wonīt happen with these stubborn game designer who obviously hate every single good idea from SWG.

In short, Star Wars The Old Republic sucks.

Conclusion, we need SWG or even better a graphics updated SWG2, and Sony should do it.
mstewart78064

Posted: Jun 28, 2012 5:30 AM   in response to: d17218a62bd24ca... in response to: d17218a62bd24ca...
not to mention...we all bought the game played the game for years i never once got an email from LA or SOE saying thank you for paying for 5 accounts occasionally a 6th(when the wife wanted to play)Never once did (im sure all of the swg players) we even get the common curtesy of George Lucas saying his real reasoning behind pulling the plug.(though i know it was tor) In the LA website swg players for years are treated like we are the redheaded stepchild that LA wishes they didnt have. I have been a LIFELONG FAN of Star Wars and anything related. And then for us to post on a George Lucas site we have to post in the other forum the very last line...we didnt even get treated to our own forum like the rest of the crap games above Other. Every one of those games above other my 9 year old can play...takes absolutely no skill to play those...just a few minutes of your time. Please let SOE bring back our game...payed or unpaid i could care or less...i just want it back. so you by the lightswitch please flip that thing back to the up position.
mstewart78064

Posted: Jun 28, 2012 5:03 AM   in response to: Flango in response to: Flango
yes happy 9th b-day SWG....I keep waiting for someone to say fooled ya its back it was just a long april fools joke.
Flango

Posted: Jun 27, 2012 3:42 AM   in response to: Onasa Lear in response to: Onasa Lear
Onasa Lear wrote:
I am begining to believe that there are more people willing to pay for SWG than to play SWTOR for free. But that's just me...

Edited by: Onasa Lear on Jun 24, 2012 6:54 PM

That is true for me too. SWTOR was enjoyable until you reach 50, and then it is just not worth it. It is like paying a monthly fee to Mass Effect 3 (A single player game with multiplayer options)

Many people had multiple accounts in SWG, and spent loads on the TCG, as the game was worth it. For it to get shut down the way it did, just sucks. The game was far from dead when they announced the shut down, it was increasing, and about a week before the shutdown announcement they had to lock down 2 more servers to transfers as they had become FULL, and another one was getting full then. The free transfers and the unplanned 45 days brought the game back to life. The breach was a blessing in disguise for SWG, and LA wasted that opportunity. Also if the game was dying they would have given 1-3 months notice for closure, and not 6 months.

Also, Happy 9th Anniversary, SWG :)

Edited by: Flango on Jun 27, 2012 3:45 AM

Onasa Lear

Posted: Jun 24, 2012 6:53 PM   in response to: Jedimonkeylizard in response to: Jedimonkeylizard
I am begining to believe that there are more people willing to pay for SWG than to play SWTOR for free. But that's just me...

Edited by: Onasa Lear on Jun 24, 2012 6:54 PM
Jedimonkeylizard

Posted: Jun 24, 2012 11:03 AM   in response to: mstewart78064 in response to: mstewart78064
mstewart78064 wrote:
I would re-sub all 5 account i had just to be able to play the official game again.

I would as well for my 4 ACCOUNTS (PROVIDED i could get my 2011 characters back with all items and the 1.3 billion credits and my DiK and Dath Prison Painting and Bacta Tanks (pre-CU village not treasure box crap) and my Elder Ranger Master Commando/Master Dancer/Master DE)

mstewart78064

Posted: Jun 23, 2012 10:33 PM   in response to: d17218a62bd24ca... in response to: d17218a62bd24ca...
I would re-sub all 5 account i had just to be able to play the official game again.
Lea Nikkaya

Posted: Jun 23, 2012 5:56 PM   in response to: Onasa Lear in response to: Onasa Lear
And a lot of SW fans are not playing an MMO because they want a good, immersive, deep story, and not a room full of 12 year olds. ;)
Onasa Lear

Posted: Jun 21, 2012 7:23 PM   in response to: mstewart78064 in response to: mstewart78064
I say there are a lot of star wars fans out there not playing an mmo because swtor was such a flop. They are looking for something to fill thier wants and alot of us ( I am one ) are finding nothing worth the time or effort. Some will eventually compromise thier wants and settle for less, others will walk away form mmo's completely and some will play an emulator but alot of us still nuture the hope of seeing swg return in an official way. Is it such a bad idea? Would it be such a task to do? I know there are those who say "let it go" and it was a "dieing game". Well I couldn't say much more for swtor and the thing is I compare every mmo I play to swg. If the game came back I would resub the day it was available and I think alot of others would as well. Something to keep the fans happy.
mstewart78064

Posted: Jun 19, 2012 4:53 AM   in response to: d17218a62bd24ca... in response to: d17218a62bd24ca...
This is my 2 cents as if LA really needed it:

If nothing more but to satisfy the public on Star Wars Galaxies.

Please reopen servers to satisfy the masses that realy did love this game at one point or another.
If nothing else you would profit from the content that was already there.

Open
1 Pre-cu server(add more if needed)
1 Pre-cu test center

1 Cu server(add more if needed)
1 Cu test center

1 Nge server(add more if needed)
1 Nge test center

This would at least satisfy the masses that did love this game in its haydays of each major upgrade. This way each person that say loved the Cu could play on those servers. In my personal opinion do not allow server transfers unless there was a need to close a server. (In my personal opinion I would have been perfectly happy back on my original server) I had 4 accounts and the freedom to do whatever i chose in game. had really great friends Only reason i ever quit playing was because the announcement to shut off the servers. So I didnt even get to experience the final days which after reading some peoples comments wish i would have kept playing. This was and is by far the best mmo i have ever played. Tor is nothing but a limited wow clone. even wow is more open than tor...i was extremely dissapointed to see the many limitations of tor. i was a space junky that probably spent more time in space to see it reduced to tempest(showing my age here) was very very very stomach churning. All i have to say is thank god for screen shots of swg so i can look at all of the old stuff i used to do and my houses my ships and stuff of that nature.
Legend
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums