Home » LucasArts Forums » Other Discussion » LucasArts General Discussion

Thread: Star Wars Galaxies: The One and Only Discussion Thread [TDE]

Permlink Replies: 1,321 - Pages: 67 [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 67 | Next ] - Last Post: Feb 8, 2014 9:04 AM Last Post By: lcpteck Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
GA_Wulfman

Re: Star Wars Galaxies: The One and Only Discussion Thread [TDE]
Posted: Nov 8, 2012 10:20 PM   in response to: d17218a62bd24ca... in response to: d17218a62bd24ca...
    Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this post Reply
So should we now ask Disney to continue "the greatest saga ever been told ... yours!" and finally provide us with a SWG2?
xoham

Posted: Oct 22, 2012 12:58 PM   in response to: CaptainRegor in response to: CaptainRegor
this URL slid down the page a little bit but some people are still talking about this.

Go to this URL and vote for SWG as the game to bring back.
http://bit.ly/VIidPm
CaptainRegor

Posted: Oct 10, 2012 8:06 AM   in response to: okegima in response to: okegima
That would have been fun the same just bigger and (hopefully) better! And then build on 2012-2013 mmo engines so... :)
okegima

Posted: Oct 10, 2012 7:50 AM   in response to: d17218a62bd24ca... in response to: d17218a62bd24ca...
I some time dream about a SWG II !
CaptainRegor

Posted: Oct 9, 2012 2:12 PM   in response to: Landemora in response to: Landemora
Just to be fair on my opinoins, I've never complained about Swtor or SWG, I've always like them both, SWGEMU on the other hand is a basicly a mod, it's fan made and they try but it will never be the same, I've tried it really hard but it just isn't swg looks the same but the controls and gameplay is just confusing, sure it's pre-nge and NGE is what i'm used too.

Both great in their own ways I just preferred SWG, and I think it is just so wrong of LucasArts to not give SWG a chance at F2P, as I said it probably even had more members then SWTOR does have now, or at least just about the same.
but hey when has LucasArts even given a crap about our opinons?
Now that is something I do complain about how LucasArts is treating it's fans!
Landemora

Posted: Oct 9, 2012 12:18 PM   in response to: oddwan in response to: oddwan
Just did the same thing. Yes, quite amazing how many pages of pure complaints about the game there were, which are were followed up in short order by complaints of the game shutting down. Your post is quite interesting as it seems SWTOR is following along the same path - many people want the game to change into something it's not (many of them are probably people who posted here over the last 7 years). However, there are many of us who love the game as it is (realizing of course that improvements can be made within the spirit of the design). But what a piece of history this thread can show.

I never had an interest in playing an MMO until Guild Wars had come along (the original, not the crappy "sequel"), but had a passing interest in SWG because it was Star Wars. When I found out I couldn't start out as a Jedi Knight, and the game was pretty much a sandbox, I forgot about it until after I had been playing GW1 and wanted to try out a "real" MMO. At that time, the NGE had landed, and even though I now could play my coveted Jedi Knight, the still sandboxy nature of the game (and the vitriol for the game at that point), kept me away. I don't regret the decision, but do feel for the people who were invested in the game, just like those who are now suffering the same fate in CoH. At least SWGemu seems to have gotten off the ground - I'm surprised it's actually been around for as long as it has. Perhaps one day, I'll pop in and see what all the fuss is about.

Truth be told, SWGemu might be the best hope for the vets out there. Why petition companies who clearly had no interest in keeping the game going into reviving it? Let's face facts - this is a business, and business decisions have to be made, regardless of who likes it or not. It was one of the reasons I stayed away from MMOs for so long - I wanted to make sure that if I was going to invest my time and money in a game, I could play it whenever and for however long I wanted - as I do with my classic games from the 80's and early 90's. Putting the game in the hands of the people who are truly passionate about it will be the only way to ensure it thrives and survives as it should.

Edited by: Landemora on Oct 9, 2012 3:18 PM
NagilumSadow

Posted: Oct 6, 2012 7:44 PM   in response to: CaptainRegor in response to: CaptainRegor
The irony is, the SWG engine was perfectly designed for F2p with a cashshop, and it would have garnered 100k+ growth virtually overnight.

On the other hand, TOR is horribly designed for cashshop; TOR was designed to be a one trick pony, and it totally failed.

Edited by: NagilumSadow on Oct 6, 2012 7:45 PM
CaptainRegor

Posted: Oct 6, 2012 2:21 PM   in response to: d17218a62bd24ca... in response to: d17218a62bd24ca...
We should start a twitter campaign: #BringBackSWG
You know LucasArts don't give a crap of our opinion (battlefront 3) but if we were on top 10 worldwide trends we'll at least show them what fools they are if they don't give us our game back!

They are giving SWTOR a chance at F2P it was such a huge lie that they cancelled SWG because of low subscriber we all know it was for SWTOR gain, heck it probably had more then SWTOR has now...
levarrishawk

Posted: Oct 2, 2012 8:07 PM   in response to: d17218a62bd24ca... in response to: d17218a62bd24ca...
SWG. Lucasarts would get money from me again if they gave SOE a green light to restore it.

Losing that game was like the death of a close friend. You miss it, you want to see it again but you know its impossible.

Drives me nuts sometimes.

Give me my game back, ya hear me Julio Torres? Pull some strings, make it happen.
oddwan

Posted: Oct 2, 2012 6:48 AM   in response to: GA_Wulfman in response to: GA_Wulfman
I had a quick glance through some earlier post in this thread...and what a lot of complaints!!

But the reason for this is very special. LA and SOE created the most unique game ever as far I am concerned, a game where we were told it was OUR story, and we went out in that raw world and made it so. We built communities of friendships, which 9 years on stand as strong. Still talking, still playing together in the only form of swg we have left to us now.

We loved (love still) the game so much that it was always perfect as it was.....and any new changes weren't appreciated - even when things were gradually improved. I played in beta, and all versions of swg till the very last second of it's life. I was never bored, usually happy, sometimes angry (NGE and loss of CH!) but always passionate about the game. I still am.
GA_Wulfman

Posted: Sep 30, 2012 10:33 PM   in response to: d17218a62bd24ca... in response to: d17218a62bd24ca...
It would be interesting is SWG can write history again and be the first MMO to be relaunched. It would definately be worthwhile for LA to consider this option. The survey from Massively and many forum posts show that there is still quite some interest, passion and love for SWG. Something that most other MMOs fail to create.
NagilumSadow

Posted: Sep 29, 2012 5:01 AM   in response to: d17218a62bd24ca... in response to: d17218a62bd24ca...
Greedy LA, give something back to the fans for once. Bring back SWG.
jess1860

Posted: Sep 28, 2012 5:07 PM   in response to: d17218a62bd24ca... in response to: d17218a62bd24ca...
ok LA how much more of a beating are you gonna take from SWTOR before you bring back SWG? suck it up apologise and bring it back already
Tiaa Auriga

Posted: Sep 28, 2012 3:30 PM   in response to: Dade2001 in response to: Dade2001
Bringing SWG back is the only way that LucasArts will ever get another dime out of me.

I have not purchased or ever logged into SW:TOR. Nor will I, even when it is F2P. I had no interest in it when the titles were to run concurrently. Once it was announced that SWG would be shutting down because of it, I decided that if I was going to be forced to play either an LA title that I had no interest in or nothing at all, it would be nothing at all.

If SWG were to be resurrected, however, I would immediately re-sub the three accounts I had.
Dade2001

Posted: Sep 28, 2012 3:22 PM   in response to: d17218a62bd24ca... in response to: d17218a62bd24ca...
I loved this game and would activate my two accounts appon re-launch So far ahead of its time no game has even come close A great and thriving community and market place Galaxies had it all.
Char Ell

Posted: Sep 26, 2012 7:35 AM   in response to: xoham in response to: xoham
In order to prevent screen stretch issues the admins programmed these forums to automatically insert a space after around 60 consecutive characters. Unfortunately this has the effect of truncating long URL's like the one you posted, making them unuseable.

Here is a link to the poll using the URL shortening service bit.ly

http://bit.ly/VIidPm

lucasarts.com terms of use
Forum Rules
Who are the Moderators?
xoham

Posted: Sep 25, 2012 11:37 AM   in response to: xoham in response to: xoham
Looks like the URL moved a little from last night. Here it is:
http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/09/24/leaderboard-mmo-mos t-worthy-of-resurrection/#continued

You'll probably need to copy and paste this link. Linking directly from this forum does not work for me.

Edited by: xoham on Sep 25, 2012 1:37 PM
xoham

Posted: Sep 25, 2012 11:12 AM   in response to: d17218a62bd24ca... in response to: d17218a62bd24ca...
You'll be wanting to add your voice to this survey.
http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/09/24/leaderboard-mmo-most-worthy -of-resurrection/

Edited by: xoham on Sep 25, 2012 1:12 PM
Old1009

Posted: Aug 19, 2012 11:56 PM   in response to: d17218a62bd24ca... in response to: d17218a62bd24ca...
Once I played swg back long ago before the changes, I came on this very website, and complained about how starting phase of swg was just wrong. Back then I did not know what a mmorpg was, nor did I understand the mechanics involved. The first time I played they had perma death, and the whole thing.

It was not until years later I cam back, much older, and a whole lot wiser. What I saw the community do in that world was beyond amazing. I saw space battles with almost 50 players. I saw pobs going at it. I destroyed more imperial fighters then I could count. I saw the true masters of space in swg at work both on the Empire and the Rebel side. I saw some the greatest and good kind of rp there is in a mmorpg. Most importantly there was entire worlds to explore and use. Like everyone else I was looking forward to swtor, but maybe I should say why. Simply put you can only twist a sandbox so many times before it becomes the same old same old. A few things drove me nuts in swg. The first that there was a Jedi class, there should have only been a force user class. Its clear that order 66 did not destroy all force users in the galaxy. The second thing was the inability to turn ones lightsaber on or off. Lastly the saber combat animations needed allot of work. Now take all that upgrade it and I think I would have been more happier, and after experiencing the pain that is swtor, I would indeed trade swtor for swg.

In the hopes that someone from LA will read this and understand what I am saying, I will post these thoughts. In swg I could be a commando for ether the Empire or the Rebellion. I could use neat animations like prone or kneel when firing my weapons. The down side the weapons for the commando were very non star wars like. Referring to the heavy weapons in swg. In swtor I can only be a trooper class for the republic. I dont even get neat little firing animations with kneel or prone. This is just one major thing that swtor fails at. Space my word I need not go into that. I could go on and on, but LA should know these things.

I am begging LA here and now to reinstate swg, so that I may once again travel a real star wars universe, visit whole worlds, and fight the galactic civil war in space. It is clear that bioware and EA are only concerned about there wallet, not creating a authentic star wars universe with whole planets in it, but rather a mini universe with cut up planets. I know this is a false hope, but maybe after so many years of hoping in swg, it may come true. A dying hope but what else can a fan of star wars do.
GA_Wulfman

Posted: Aug 5, 2012 5:56 AM   in response to: d17218a62bd24ca... in response to: d17218a62bd24ca...
So SWTOR had server merges and is going F2P in 7 month after launch. Real shame that SWG was killed off, I bet that would have gotten quite a few new players back again.

Honestly, when SWG was still live and I could test TOR in beta this outcome was clear to me. Unfortunately I can only say "I told you so" and move on.

LA should really consider giving SOE the licence back. While they also screwed up quite often, in the end it was just the better game design.Prre CU (just before the CU hit) and also the last days of the game (before the closing) was just a good game and had very strong points that no otehr MMO (to my mind) managed to get right.
Legend
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums