Home » LucasArts Forums » Other Discussion » LucasArts General Discussion

Thread: Star Wars Galaxies: The One and Only Discussion Thread [TDE]

Permlink Replies: 1,321 - Pages: 67 [ 1 2 3 4 5 ... 67 | Next ] - Last Post: Feb 8, 2014 9:04 AM Last Post By: lcpteck Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
lcpteck

Re: Star Wars Galaxies: The One and Only Discussion Thread [TDE]
Posted: Feb 8, 2014 9:03 AM   in response to: xoham in response to: xoham
    Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this post Reply
SWG really brings me to tears... Such a great game.

It really set the standard too high up in the MMOG world, fantastic game... The Pre-Combat Upgrade/New Game Enhancement days were the best times I've had playing an MMOG.
xoham

Posted: Jan 31, 2014 11:52 AM   in response to: mstewart78064 in response to: mstewart78064
It sure would be great if they remade SWG.

Here's the kinds of things I would like:
  • No pay to win. That is the key to failure
  • Space combat and vehicles right away
  • Space PVP affects land PVP
  • Customizable buildable droids that do useful things
  • Balanced economy
  • Sandbox
  • If I must endure Episode 1 era stuff, still have all the Episode 4 stuff. Maybe a feature to render only one or the other art style.
  • Rares (never delete items)
  • Prospecting and manufacturing similar to SWG 1
  • Bring back the rare bioengineer pets
  • Auction house and vendors
  • Player delivery quests
  • Avoid tank, DD, healer triad cliche
mstewart78064

Posted: Jan 29, 2014 1:04 PM   in response to: d17218a62bd24ca... in response to: d17218a62bd24ca...
there is hope yet...apparently the license was renewed on Dec. 26 of 2013...so either a relaunch of SWG or a game very similar.

http://www.t rademarkia.com/star-wars-galaxies-76329360.html
GA_Wulfman

Posted: Jan 20, 2014 3:31 PM   in response to: d17218a62bd24ca... in response to: d17218a62bd24ca...
After such a long time (over 10 years since the release and now also a few years since the closure) it makes sense that some people have nevery played SWG. That beeing said, the "Jedi everywhere" issue was created only over time and especially when the NGE came.

Every Version of the game (and there were many) had certainly some issues, but in the end it was still a remarkable MMO and it offered a sandbox playstyle that unfortunately to few games offer these days.

I would certainly play the game just like it was when the servers closed (great work from the dev team especially inthe last 6 month) or in the pre CU Version.

I do not see much in terms of gaming news for star wars games anymore though.
Char Ell

Posted: Sep 16, 2013 6:17 PM   in response to: mstewart78064 in response to: mstewart78064
Hmmm.... I don't recall "SWG player" being a requirement outlined when I was invited to become a moderator here on the LucasArts forums. None of the other forum staff said I could only participate and moderate forums for games that I played. Those would be the main reasons.

I've got no issue with people that played SWG or want SWG to return even though I have no interest in the game, chiefly because its setting (e.g. hordes of Jedi) doesn't align with the setting shown in the original trilogy. I typically only pipe up when I see people make "statements of fact" that are not at all factual. And I might throw my opinion in sometimes when the mood strikes me. Thanks for acknowledging your misstatement though. Many times people won't do even that.

lucasarts.com terms of use
Forum Rules
Who are the Moderators?
mstewart78064

Posted: Sep 14, 2013 8:44 PM   in response to: d17218a62bd24ca... in response to: d17218a62bd24ca...
From Char Ell
"I didn't play SWG before it closed and unless they made specific changes to SWG I wouldn't play the game even if it did return to existence."

Why would you even moderate a topic you really know nothing about except what you have read people say about it. Yes some people did leave the game for their opinion of the game going downhill. Some people left because mommy and daddy were not paying for it anymore and they had to grow up and get jobs themselves. Of course it really doesn't matter now since you know nobody will ever come on here and ask for directions to a player city or where to get the best resources as this was never the best place to go anyway. However it did happen from time to time.
mstewart78064

Posted: Sep 14, 2013 8:30 PM   in response to: d17218a62bd24ca... in response to: d17218a62bd24ca...
I aplogize Char Ell for not having my statistics correct as I did only check the Other Discussion instead of wherever that was hidden. However if you take all of the posts about SWG that were deleted or moved or anything else since we have only been able to post in this topic rather start a new post. But I am afraid that most (not all) I still play the old ones sometimes) of the people that play the battlefront game will be done with it a few months after they play. That will be good for business of course because then they can sell new maps or whatever. Having played games for a very long time now.(first computer was a vic 20) There was never a game that kept me as entertained as SWG so yes I might be a little "biased". paying the 16 dollars a mo saved me alot of money over the years as I didn't finish a game and in a few days had to go buy a new one. Of course once the TCG came out I started spending some of that money I had saved...This game was alot of hours playing having fun with friends and then new friends over and over after everytime a new patch came out that people claimed screwed the game would quit. I will get off of my soapbox for my Biased opinion. oh yea and probably only the first 5-10 pages of topics as well.
Char Ell

Posted: Sep 4, 2013 5:39 PM   in response to: mstewart78064 in response to: mstewart78064
Hmmm... You really should make sure what you post is true when it comes to easily verifiable claims. This thread has nowhere near the number of views that Star Wars Battlefront III Speculation [TDE] has. I mean, I get that you want SWG back but I think you have biased perspective on the subject. :p

lucasarts.com terms of use
Forum Rules
Who are the Moderators?
CaptainRegor

Posted: Aug 8, 2013 8:11 PM   in response to: mstewart78064 in response to: mstewart78064
I'm just sitting around wainting for Project SWG now.... It has promise to more than just an emulator as they've added new ships, species that are going to be playable
mstewart78064

Posted: Aug 8, 2013 6:18 PM   in response to: d17218a62bd24ca... in response to: d17218a62bd24ca...
wow the first time i havnt seen this thread move. I guess people are starting to give up. Disney LA whoever reads this not please bring this game back as you can see it has the most views of any topic on this website.
The Truuth

Posted: Jun 3, 2013 4:38 PM   in response to: d17218a62bd24ca... in response to: d17218a62bd24ca...
Hello my fellow SWG supporters, and SWG revival outcasts.

I am looking to put up a website to bring back SWG.

Would anyone be able with code to help build the Website? Also, we needs to have a list of many many patrons that wish to have the game back or revamped.

If anyone has interest please let me know.
NagilumSadow

Posted: May 15, 2013 1:56 PM   in response to: d17218a62bd24ca... in response to: d17218a62bd24ca...
Are any fellows from Bria following this thread?
JYCowboy

Posted: May 10, 2013 8:03 AM   in response to: danpen2 in response to: danpen2
There is much speculation on this point. It was decided at license renewal that LucasArts and SOE would choose to close the game. Population was not progressively growing and it was finally known that TOR was being released. So as TOR launched, SWG closed. This would allow LA to be more free to promote the only Star Wars MMO in the market while SOE could free server resources for its future games.

What has been widely assumed, is EA had a non-competition clause with LA once a new deal had to be signed as they purchased Bio-Ware. EA bought Bio-Ware as it became known TOR was in development.

SWG has a long (10 years or so) history of ups and downs with much bias and rumor along the trail. What can be said is LA was never satisfied with its performance once World of Warcraft launched.
danpen2

Posted: May 10, 2013 7:27 AM   in response to: d17218a62bd24ca... in response to: d17218a62bd24ca...
Why dd they close it. i used to like the game.
mstewart78064

Posted: May 9, 2013 9:03 AM   in response to: d17218a62bd24ca... in response to: d17218a62bd24ca...
Even if EA was to build an SWG-type game remember their bread and butter is and always has been the madden franchise. they will not let anything mess that up. they make good games and they do listen to their players otherwise madden wouldnt have been around for as long that it has been. and to this day remains the top football franchise. not sure how they would fare making an mmo. i hope for the better.
CaptainRegor

Posted: May 8, 2013 6:36 AM   in response to: GA_Wulfman in response to: GA_Wulfman
Well.. They're probably not gonna challange SWTOR.
However EA published much better James Bond 007 games than Activition, so I will give them a chance

Edited by: CaptainRegor on May 8, 2013 3:37 PM
GA_Wulfman

Posted: May 8, 2013 6:27 AM   in response to: d17218a62bd24ca... in response to: d17218a62bd24ca...
With now exclusive rights to EA for all Star wars games I doupt that we will see any SWG2 type (or any good Star Wars game) anytiem soon. I was hoping that Disney does not continue the mistakes made when SWTOR was launched. Game quality has never seen any benifit from exclusive rights to one company and EA has certainly not the best record as of late.
NagilumSadow

Posted: May 6, 2013 7:49 AM   in response to: CaptainRegor in response to: CaptainRegor
The only emulator that really matters is SWGemu, and it often has so many people at login a que has developed. Yet despite the population, there has been no action from LA. On the other hand, maybe Disney will have a more flexible approach. The indefatigable subsequent point of an emulator is no new content will ever truly exist, and you're just picking over the bones of a once great MMORPG -- which is why I would like SWG to action make an actual comeback with Disney / SOE. Disney shouldn't have all of the hangups and pet peeves that LA had, which ended up damaging the MMO for LA / SOE. LA's hangups and pet peeves are why we have a multi-milllion dollar failure in SW:TOR -- a dull, static, sterile "MMO" themepark.

Edited by: NagilumSadow on May 6, 2013 7:51 AM
CaptainRegor

Posted: May 6, 2013 5:18 AM   in response to: JYCowboy in response to: JYCowboy
There are multiple emulators out there... Maybe if we all supported and played on one like protject swg (http://www.projectswg.com/) So the community can live again and perhaps Disney/Soe see the popularity of it. If not it will never be the same but at least we have a chance wandering around in Mos Eisley once again...
JYCowboy

Posted: May 5, 2013 5:14 PM   in response to: d17218a62bd24ca... in response to: d17218a62bd24ca...
I am all for SWG to come back somehow. However, the MMORPG market is starting to dry up. At the very least SOE is trying to make a stab at the sandbox type MMO with Everquest Next, as they say. But it is very disheartening to see games close and or companies go under as of late. With what happened with LucasArts, I tend to fear the worse for gaming.

I hope someday our wish could be fulfilled.
Legend
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums