Home » LucasArts Forums » Support » PC

Thread: Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine on Virtual PC

This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 5 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: Aug 6, 2012 1:23 PM Last Post By: Lea Nikkaya Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
Lea Nikkaya

Re: Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine on Virtual PC
Posted: Aug 6, 2012 1:23 PM   in response to: tigerdg in response to: tigerdg

Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this post Reply
Silly solution, but it has been known to work. Run Windows Media Player in the background. Also, make sure you run it in w98 compatibility and as administrator.
tigerdg

Posted: Aug 2, 2012 9:26 PM   in response to: Lea Nikkaya in response to: Lea Nikkaya

Thanks very much for this clarification. Your instructions worked and I have installed the game and done the v1.2 patch. However, now it seems I have a new problem. The game launches, but hangs at the map screen (where the red line marches across the screen at stops at "Canyonlands"). The cursor arrow appears and the mouse is active, but clicking produces only a beep and has no other effect. Escape or Enter causes the game to crash completely. Once again, any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

BTW, when I attempted to install the Microsoft Visual C++ (vcredist_86.exe), the only options were to repair or uninstall. I chose repair.
Lea Nikkaya

Posted: Jul 5, 2012 11:37 AM   in response to: tigerdg in response to: tigerdg

Markus Egger's page, on the homepage:

Windows Installer 3.1 and newer OS

1/18/2011 10:39:14 PM

This is just a clarification. Some people asked me about Windows Installer 3.1 and what they should do as they can't install in on, let's say Vista x64 or Windows 7 x64. Point is, Vista has Windows Installer 4.0 and Windows 7 has Windows Installer 4.5 integrated. So no need to worry about this. You will, however, still need the particular Visual C++ runtime as noted in the instructions.

I think that answers the question ;)
tigerdg

Posted: Jul 4, 2012 7:15 PM   in response to: Lea Nikkaya in response to: Lea Nikkaya

Hi, Thanks for your response and suggestions. I found the Marcus Zegger installer and have read the instructions. I understand I have to install Windows Installer 4.5, but which version? The Microsoft download site specifies versions for Win XP and Vista, but not Windows 7. The same goes for Zegger's instructions. Sorry if I'm being dense here, but Eric Margolis's readme says the instructions have to be followed carefully, and it's not clear to me how to proceed. Thanks again.
Lea Nikkaya

Posted: Jul 4, 2012 4:11 AM   in response to: tigerdg in response to: tigerdg

You don't need to use Virtual PC. Markus Egger made a 32bit installer.

I'd like to clarify a bit.

x64 systems can run x86(32) bit programs just fine. Most of the programs are x86. x64 programs are only a very specific group of programs, most of which the average user doesn't have, anyway. (Usually, these are heavy 3D/video-rendering programs).

This game is x86. The installer is x16bit. Sadly, Windows 7 no longer supports 16bit. As such, the game runs fine, but the installer doesn't work.

http://www.markuse gger.at/Software/Games/Default.aspx

Be sure to read the instructions, or things will not work properly.
tigerdg

Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine on Virtual PC
Posted: Jul 4, 2012 12:29 AM

I am trying to run I.J. & the Infernal Machine using Windows Virtual PC in XP mode. The VM is running under Windows 7, but the game won't even install there because it is 64-bit and the software is 32-bit. It will install in XP VM, but crashes every time I click "Start New Game." I get a Windows message that "Indy3d.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close." I have applied the 1.2 patch from Lucasarts; no change. Scummv doesn't seem to be an option, because they say the program should run in Windows 7. They don't address the 64/32-bit incompatibility. Any ideas?
Legend
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums