Home » LucasArts Forums » Support » PC

Thread: Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds won't open in Windows 7

This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 10 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: Aug 12, 2011 4:27 PM Last Post By: Lea Nikkaya Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
Lea Nikkaya

Re: Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds won't open in Windows 7
Posted: Aug 12, 2011 4:26 PM   in response to: mike_athome in response to: mike_athome

Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this post Reply
The EULA is an agreement far outdated, and it is there out of habit more
than out of a legal binding agreement. It applies to those making money
out of a modification of the game / modifying the game and releasing it
under another name. It is a copyright protection, nothing more.

Modding is a common part of gaming these days, and the community is
extensive. As long as you do not make money of a modification, it is no
problem. There have been patches and mods made by the modding community for
nearly ever game imaginable, none have ever had problems.

Also, consider this. You signed the EULA for Star Wars Battlefront 2, too. Yet Lucasarts released official modification tools. Actually, someone made a patch for Empire At War on Vista quite a while ago
(Mike.nl), and in 2009 Lucasarts released the fix officially.
Every game comes with the EULA, yet quite a number of companies actually encourage modding. (Lucasarts policy is "don't care" we've learned)
mike_athome

Posted: Aug 12, 2011 4:00 PM   in response to: Lea Nikkaya in response to: Lea Nikkaya

Are you asking me to break the EULA that I signed up for when I installed the game?
Lea Nikkaya

Posted: Aug 7, 2011 11:59 AM   in response to: mike_athome in response to: mike_athome

What's stopping you, then? By all means, go ahead and make one!
mike_athome

Posted: Aug 7, 2011 7:19 AM   in response to: OtaynDoey in response to: OtaynDoey

Or better yet, LucasArts or a 3rd party could make a compatibility patch.
Lea Nikkaya

Posted: Aug 6, 2011 9:23 AM   in response to: mujamaster in response to: mujamaster

-sigh- Stop trying to run a game made for windows 95/98/2000 in windows bloody 7 or vista.

IT. WONT. WORK. PROPERLY. I should get a dollar for every time i've said that here, i'd beat bill gates in the quote 500...

Take a spare laptop/pc, install windows XP on it, and install all your old(er) games on that. Or be a smart pc user and do what we do, leave vista/7 to the people who get off about awesome themes and "must-have-new-stuff" and stick to what works.
mujamaster

Posted: Aug 5, 2011 5:49 AM   in response to: OtaynDoey in response to: OtaynDoey

Having the same issue on two new Dell Inspirons. Love this game, please someone help!!!
mike_athome

Posted: Jul 10, 2011 8:38 AM   in response to: Lea Nikkaya in response to: Lea Nikkaya

Is there some common known list of bugs that specifically affect this game in Win7? I've heard of players who have had issues with the game crashing after a few mins, and the colours mess up as well apparently.
Lea Nikkaya

Posted: Feb 13, 2011 6:07 AM   in response to: OtaynDoey in response to: OtaynDoey

You need to use your videocard drivers to send it to the external screen.
OtaynDoey

Posted: Feb 12, 2011 9:25 AM   in response to: Lea Nikkaya in response to: Lea Nikkaya

Okay, have it running on my laptop. However, I cannot get a picture on my external monitor, an HP2310m. Any suggestions?
Lea Nikkaya

Posted: Feb 12, 2011 8:08 AM   in response to: OtaynDoey in response to: OtaynDoey

Makes you wonder why gamers ever switched to W7...

Basically, the game is too old. 7, just like vista, hates old games. You're going to get the exact same error if you ever decied to install and Age of Empires games.

Did you try the "run as admin" setting? and the game was made for windows 98, not XP, so try that compatability setting.

Also, did you install the DirectX that came with the game? And try reinstalling DX9.
OtaynDoey

Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds won't open in Windows 7
Posted: Feb 11, 2011 6:23 PM

Tried opening Galactic Battlegrounds Clone Campaigns with Windows 7. Kept getting a not compatable message. Kept telling me to enure that it was compatable with DirectDraw and that I should update my drivers. This is a brand new computer, so I think all drivers are updated. I tried the compatabilty process and used Windows XP Service Pack 2 configuration, but got the same message.
Legend
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums