Home » LucasArts Forums » Other Discussion » LucasArts General Discussion

Thread: The Official: Where are the new Star Wars Games thread (FJA)

Permlink Replies: 247 - Pages: 13 [ 1 2 3 4 5 ... 13 | Next ] - Last Post: May 8, 2013 3:11 PM Last Post By: Char Ell Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
Char Ell

Re: The Official: Where are the new Star Wars Games thread (FJA)
Posted: May 8, 2013 3:11 PM   in response to: Lea Nikkaya in response to: Lea Nikkaya
    Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this post Reply
I haven't gotten around to playing Mass Effect 3 yet. I even preordered ME 3 but I've been playing too much Star Wars: The Old Republic and haven't stepped away long enough to play anything but the opening on Earth. Now that all the ME 3 DLC is out I guess I should get my rear in gear and play the game.

I've seen a lot of negative reaction towards this Star Wars games licensing deal that Disney has put in place with EA. I can't say I'm very excited about it either but I see how it makes sense from a business perspective. Disney doesn't have to concern themselves with multiple companies approaching them to get licensed to make a Star Wars game and EA is going to make quite a few games that Disney will get a cut of. However I don't put much stock into internet polls for the worst company in America. Yeah, EA sure has a lot of haters out there but I'm not among those that see EA as the worst company in America.
lucasarts.com terms of use
Forum Rules
Who are the Moderators?
Lea Nikkaya

Posted: May 7, 2013 2:33 PM   in response to: Char Ell in response to: Char Ell
I know EA includes Bioware. Do I need to remind everyone of the knive-in-the-back that was Mass Effect 3? Do we really want such a debacle over Kotor3?

Also, EA has won the 'US worst company ever' award what, twice in a row now? Then again, the only reason they came in first is because Ubisoft is French.

And let's not even get started on their horrendous Always Online DRM. Add to that the EA Master Server whih hasn't functioned properly since BF2, and has thus far remained unfixed all the way up to BF3 and Sim City 5... Have you tried Sim City 5? No, me neither, because the server is still down!

Or the fact about 50% of their Android games only work on horrendously low-res devices...

I could go on...
Char Ell

Posted: May 7, 2013 11:12 AM   in response to: mimanol in response to: mimanol
Good news is that we'll get new Star Wars games. Unfortunately Disney decided to go into an exclusive licensing arrangement with EA. I was hoping that more developers would get an opportunity to make Star Wars games, especially Obsidian Entertainment.

As far as the quality of the Star Wars games that EA's development studios will produce goes, that remains to be seen. EA has a spotty track record when it comes to producing quality titles. DICE's Battlefield 3 seems to have been pretty successful. IMHO BioWare title quality has become more questionable over the past couple of releases. I've no idea how well Visceral does with games since I've never played or even paid much attention to the games that studio has put out. I'm not interested in playing FPS or horror titles. I also don't approve of the post-game release content business model that EA games seem to be moving towards. I favor purchasing games when they've reached a "content complete" state. That doesn't seem to be happening for some of EA's games until a year after the initial game is released.

At this point I have an improved but still somewhat pessimistic view of the future for Star Wars gaming. EA will be putting out the Star Wars games, a lot more than LucasArts did over the past few years. I think that much is sure. Still, if EA just inked this licensing deal then we're likely a couple years away from seeing the first "core" Star Wars games, e.g. a new Battlefront or KotOR. It will be interesting to see what EA does with its Star Wars license. The press release leaves me with the impression that EA's Star Wars games will not be linked to the new Star Wars movies, at the outset anyway.

lucasarts.com terms of use
Forum Rules
Who are the Moderators?
mimanol

Posted: May 7, 2013 8:33 AM   in response to: Wilfer88 in response to: Wilfer88
So... no new X-Wing game right? Damn!!! I'm sad now :-(
Wilfer88

Posted: May 7, 2013 1:43 AM   in response to: Lea Nikkaya in response to: Lea Nikkaya
Lea Nikkaya wrote:
Oh god, EA, really? Well, that's it, we're doomed.

As Fosh said: Bioware, Visceral and DICE. Thats, Mass Effect 2, Battlefield 3 and Dead Space in my ears. Thats ambitious, popular and great games overall. And those studios are well suited for some of the Star Wars-games we really really want.

We´re NOT doomed!

http://starwarsnyheter.blogg.se/
Foshjedi2004

Posted: May 6, 2013 2:16 PM   in response to: Lea Nikkaya in response to: Lea Nikkaya
Bioware, Visceral and DICE as development studios..

There may be hope for Battlefront 3, 1313 and KOTOR 3 with those guys!

Give them a chance :)
Lea Nikkaya

Posted: May 6, 2013 1:58 PM   in response to: Foshjedi2004 in response to: Foshjedi2004
Oh god, EA, really? Well, that's it, we're doomed.
Foshjedi2004

Posted: May 6, 2013 1:31 PM   in response to: _Intuit in response to: _Intuit
_Intuit

Posted: May 2, 2013 7:49 PM   in response to: a22142cb8e8ea88... in response to: a22142cb8e8ea88...
I took a look at the Star Wars 1313 and immediately thought, "not another shoot'em up".
The visuals however are, in LucasArts fashion, stunningly beautiful.

Here's my demographic...

The list of Star Wars PC games I've bought and liked...
Jedi Knight (Dark Forces II)
Jedi Knight (Jedi Academy)
Jedi Knight II (Outcast)
Knights of the Old Republic
Knights of the Old Republic II (The Sith Lords)
The Force Unleashed (Ultimate Sith Edition)
The Force Unleashed II

I once made the mistake of purchasing a SW PC game WITHOUT doing any research.

The list of Star Wars PC games I've bought and disliked...
Battlefront II

I started playing shoot'em up games with the original Wolfenstein and haven't wanted+bought another shoot'em up since Doom 3. Shoot'em up... been there, done that. They're ubiquitous, boring, simple, all similar. There is nothing unique about the experience; it's all been done in one form and another. I am also used to owning games and won't lease one; not into the MMORPG model.

I would however LOVE the idea of sharing one of the above-mentioned games as a two-player game. Online two-play may require too much development and too many resources, so would easily settle for single-system two-player; single or dual-monitor.

I like a game with good imagination, dynamic characters, some challenge/longevity and most of all, a developing storyline with multiple forks. Also, do you remember the old game called "Riven" ? Introducing clever and unique puzzles, if done right, might enhance the experience. (and you certainly have some clever people there @ LucasArts)

I haven't owned a console system since Sega CD (circa 1997) and have precisely zero interest in giving up the highly customizable mouse and keyboard interface.

I understand LA is responding to "what's popular" and "market pressure" but I think LucasArts is best when "outside the box."

Thanks for all the great entertainment over the years.

Good day all...

Edited by: _Intuit on May 2, 2013 10:50 PM
Grand Master Je...

Posted: Apr 23, 2013 9:28 PM   in response to: a22142cb8e8ea88... in response to: a22142cb8e8ea88...
I would love to see SWG back. I would not mind the SWG:CU but would really like to see the original SWG. I guess even at this point and time I would take the NGE back just to get back to SWG. I really miss that game!!!!!
DeathSAMKILLER1...

Posted: Jul 17, 2012 11:32 PM   in response to: GreenRogue98 in response to: GreenRogue98
Hopefully it's coming.
GreenRogue98

Posted: Jul 17, 2012 1:11 PM   in response to: a22142cb8e8ea88... in response to: a22142cb8e8ea88...
How about Star Wars Battlefront 3?! The game's been up in the air since the second one came out in '05! I loved the original two.
xoham

Posted: Jul 12, 2012 1:21 PM   in response to: a22142cb8e8ea88... in response to: a22142cb8e8ea88...
SWG 2!
Wilfer88

Posted: May 25, 2012 12:19 PM   in response to: thelastdisciple in response to: thelastdisciple
thelastdisciple wrote:
Looks like we may be in for a new SW game franchise according to Spike.com

Spike TV Launches Into Hyperspace With The World Premiere Of The Next Big Star Wars Game Franchise

"The Dark Side? I've been there, do your worst"! - Kyle Katarn

Atlast. Something!!!!
Lets start the guessing? :D

thelastdisciple

Posted: May 25, 2012 10:14 AM   in response to: a22142cb8e8ea88... in response to: a22142cb8e8ea88...
Looks like we may be in for a new SW game franchise according to Spike.com

Spike TV Launches Into Hyperspace With The World Premiere Of The Next Big Star Wars Game Franchise

"The Dark Side? I've been there, do your worst"! - Kyle Katarn
EmceeSchw3pp3

Posted: May 10, 2012 12:22 PM   in response to: a22142cb8e8ea88... in response to: a22142cb8e8ea88...
What I would like to see is a follow up to KoTOR… Take "The Force Unleashed" game mechanics throw it into "The Old Republic" with the customization/character creation of KoTOR. Add the story driven dialogue we see in games like Mass Effect, Dragon Age, and the newly release SWTOR. Instant Game of the Year as long as it's not rushed into production like The Sith Lords.
HiddenSpy

Posted: May 3, 2012 10:51 PM   in response to: a22142cb8e8ea88... in response to: a22142cb8e8ea88...
They should definitely make the next game in the jedi knight series. There hasn't been a new game in this series since 2003. It has incredible potential and is very different for other games out right now.

I always thought Jedi Academy (and outcast) was one of the most unique games I played because the combat system actually took some skill and was close combat. You had to learn how to fight, like any Jedi Knight would. Each lightsaber style (single, duals, staff) could each be played different ways and you could pick the one that identifies with your style. Many of the experienced veterans would prefer Single, but some could even played like a boss with duals and staff. As a long-term veteran I used duals and could stand with the pros strong. Either way though, it took time and skill. This meant that you needed a trainer or as star wars fans call it, a master. Someone who knows how to fight with that particular saber and willing to teach someone new to the game (a padawan) what they know and how to beat the competition.

As you can tell I speak from experience. I played Jedi Academy since release all the way up until SWTOR was released. The only reason I am mostly retired now is because it lacks players. Even though Jedi Academy has tons of mods you can download to make the game different and more interesting, that doesn't make it any younger and is only makeup on the problem: it's old. It needs a whole new deal. I never thought JA was marketed right so it never had the chance to live up to it's full potential. It's a good bet though that if there was a new game in the jedi knight series made and released that it would make a lot of money.

I hear all the time from Star Wars fans that they liked the jedi knight series. It's a great multiplayer game. It can even be a great single player game like JO if the story is done right. Those who stuck around and learned the skills in multiplayer loved it. Great game for RP'ers and skill based gamers alike. Awesome modding community that would carry over to a new version as well. I really hope they make a jk4 (or jk3 if you consider JA an expansion to JO).
Wilfer88

Re: Happy Anniversary !
Posted: Apr 28, 2012 3:01 PM   in response to: iPadCary in response to: iPadCary
iPadCary wrote:
It is exactly 1 year ago today that LucasArts announces they've licensed the UnrealEngine3 3D engine for, among other platforms, iOS > http://www.lu casarts.com/company/release/news20110426.html

Well, in that 1 year's time, I haven't heard a single word uttered about this. 

From LucasArts, EPIC, Apple -- NOBODY ....  

What gives?

I was just thinking also about Paul Meegan and Clint Hocking. Both know unrealengine and both know fps games. They really are guys for heavy shooter games. We really have seen non of the kind if games yet with Paul and Clints stamps on. Non of the games released yet can really be traced to decisions from them. Or am I wrong there?

So what to expect? I only expect high end AAA+ games from people like them when the decision really comes from them (and not above like George asking for more kidsgames).
And most likely games as Battlefront III and Republic Commando 2. There are also talk about open world rpg. Thats sound like the next step after the Kotor-games. But probobly not Kotor 3. Rather more Knight Errand timeline, or New Republic like Jedi Knight.
What I can re******the internet, Clint Hocking sound like a smart and experience guy, so he can probobly say to the others that they ****** up TFU2 and need to put that series on hold for the time being. Do other games first before finnish of TFU3 with a bang and not release it before its really great or not release it at all.

iPadCary

Happy Anniversary !
Posted: Apr 26, 2012 4:57 PM   in response to: a22142cb8e8ea88... in response to: a22142cb8e8ea88...
It is exactly 1 year ago today that LucasArts announces they've licensed the UnrealEngine3 3D engine for, among other platforms, iOS > http://www.lu casarts.com/company/release/news20110426.html

Well, in that 1 year's time, I haven't heard a single word uttered about this. 

From LucasArts, EPIC, Apple -- NOBODY ....  

What gives?

Edited by: iPadCary on Apr 26, 2012 8:02 PM
GA_Wulfman

Posted: Apr 6, 2012 11:40 PM   in response to: Wilfer88 in response to: Wilfer88
LA should make another game based on the original timeline. I get a bit tried of Cone Wars and early Jedi stuff. I would love to see some Tie Fighters, Stormtroopers etc again.
Legend
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums