Home » LucasArts Forums » Support » PC

Thread: My Kotor 1 will not start. Fresh install and fresh update

This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 13 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: Oct 23, 2012 4:30 PM Last Post By: Reekardoo
Reekardoo

Re: My Kotor 1 will not start. Fresh install and fresh update
Posted: Oct 23, 2012 4:30 PM   in response to: Rev1011 in response to: Rev1011

Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this post Reply
Howdy folks...

This is a bit off-topic but I'm hoping I can count on your support.

This is a hobby of mine

http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/vie w/29643

http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/vie w/29915

I need 10.000 supporters to make this a reality (an official set)

Hope you can sign up and support. Many thanks.
Rev1011

Posted: Oct 3, 2012 3:58 PM   in response to: Rev1011 in response to: Rev1011

'-_-
Okay I figured it out.
For some reason I have had to disable movies. This was not required before any of these problems occurred. Thanks for your help anyway :)
Now to add everything back again >.<
Rev1011

Posted: Oct 2, 2012 8:42 PM   in response to: Lea Nikkaya in response to: Lea Nikkaya

Nope. Hmm what about system updates (the ones you get before you log off)?
Could anything have been added/updated that would cause it to stop?
How would I check what updates have been added recently? Like a notepad logbook for updates?
And if that isn't the issue then I guess I don't think there is anything I can think of that would have effected it. Before it stopped working, I hadn't added any mods or anything either. o.O
Lea Nikkaya

Posted: Oct 2, 2012 5:35 AM   in response to: Rev1011 in response to: Rev1011

Of course the analyzer can't detect your OS. The game came out before Vista was even an idea, W7 is even further from that.

Did you change anything about your pc between when it worked and when it didn't? Drivers, etc?
Rev1011

Posted: Oct 1, 2012 11:22 AM   in response to: Rev1011 in response to: Rev1011

I've gone to the launcher/game.exe/shortcuts etc and made them all "run as administrator" and the same compatibility. I've never dealt with a kotor 1/2 crash that I could't get past, but tbh this has me clueless.
Probably wrong, but all I can assume was something happened after they released the new discs for the kotor 1 and 2 bundle pack and patches etc.
Anyway.
I've uninstalled all my mods, believing it was to do with a KSE problem, but obviously not.
Current specs and info of my computer are:
imghttp:/ /i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh147/DavidBking/pcreadout.png[/img]

Oddly enough when scanning the hardware (from the kotor config option) it cannot detect what OS I am using. o.O
Been playing on these discs for years and even on this new computer, it ran fine for many months.
Rev1011

Posted: Oct 1, 2012 10:57 AM   in response to: Basslee in response to: Basslee

I tried what you said with the swkotor.ini notepad. Also had already updated the dvd rom game disc, and had no "error insert disc" message. My problem is still the same, and that problem is: I run the best of pc launcher, choose kotor, but as soon as it is about to load to the main menu ingame, I hear the music for 3 seconds and then it crashes.
Played the game fine 2 weeks ago. Uninstalled it earlier also, but still the same :/
micahsj

Posted: Sep 26, 2012 2:34 PM   in response to: Basslee in response to: Basslee

You might could try this. It did work for me. I also own the Star Wars Best Of PC KOTOR.
You need to find the "swkotor.ini" file in the game's directory, which, if you're using Win7 x64, in c:\program files (x86)\LucasArts\swkotor\. In order to see the file you need to do the following: go to "start", then "computer", then click "organize", then click "folder and search options", go to "view", and make sure that the "show hidden files, folders, and drives" is selected. After you see the file you need to edit it using notepad as follows:
Add "Disable Vertex Buffer Objects=1" without the quotes under the last line of entries under Graphic Options and then save the file.
micahsj

Posted: Sep 26, 2012 2:17 PM   in response to: Basslee in response to: Basslee

Again, the Best OF PC KOTOR does not need an update. It's already patched when you buy it. You do not need to run any updates.

Edited by: micahsj on Sep 26, 2012 2:17 PM
Basslee

Posted: Sep 25, 2012 12:34 PM   in response to: Basslee in response to: Basslee

First of all, let me say that i appreciate the help on this issue.

I reinstalled the game, did the bioware update and i am still having crash issues. I cannot get beyond the first mission before it fails. My only thought is that there is a conflict with the video card. Since i am not running the recommended hardware, KOTOR refuses to cooperate. The video looks fine on the game, not flickering or interference that i can detect. Could there be another patch that resolves this conflict?

micahsj

Posted: Sep 21, 2012 3:51 AM   in response to: Lea Nikkaya in response to: Lea Nikkaya

Thanks Lea Nikkaya for offering to help. I hope my messages haven't been too confusing. I actually meant to post my second message here in another thread, but accidently put it here.
Lea Nikkaya

Posted: Sep 21, 2012 2:25 AM   in response to: micahsj in response to: micahsj

@micahsj, Your first post was already the correct solution ;)

Best of PC games MUST NOT BE UPDATED. Doing so will break the .exe and give a 'wrong disc inserted' error.
micahsj

Posted: Sep 20, 2012 3:42 PM   in response to: Basslee in response to: Basslee

Here is something else that might be of some help:

Please ensure you are installing the correct update for the game media you are using.

If you are using the CD-ROM version of KotOR, please visit the LucasArts support site and download the latest update.

If you are using the DVD-ROM version of KotOR, DO NOT use the CD-ROM update found on the LucasArts support site. (If you have run the CD-ROM update on your DVD-ROM version, you will receive a "wrong disc" message each time you attempt to launch. Simply uninstall the game and re-install.) To update the DVD-ROM version, navigate to the game's install location, locate the "swupdate.exe" file, and click on the file. A patching utility will open. This utility reports the version of KotOR you currently have installed, as well as, the version of the patching utility, itself. Clicking on the "Update" button will connect you to bioware.com and install any available updates for the patcher and the game.
micahsj

Posted: Sep 20, 2012 12:57 PM   in response to: Basslee in response to: Basslee

The KOTOR Best Of PC does not need an update. Every game in the Best Of PC series is already up to date when you buy it. Applying the update might have caused the problem. Try uninstalling and reinstalling the game without the update and see if it works.
Basslee

My Kotor 1 will not start. Fresh install and fresh update
Posted: Sep 19, 2012 2:19 PM

I have reinstalled my Best of PC version of Kotor 1. I have downloaded and installed the only update for this game that Lucasarts has. I have the Kotor/Empire at war cd in the drive. I click my start menu icon. The splash screen comes up, i hit start game. The only message i get is Wrong disc inserted. i have tried restarting the games using all three discs that come with the star wars best of PC game set. None of them work. Is there another patch to download or file to modify? or am i never going to get to play this game again. I do have a video conflict, i am running a NVidia Nforce 980a/780a SLI 512mb motherboard mounted video card. I will not buy an external card for this game only. Not worth the hassle. windows xp pro operating system.

How do i fix this so i can play the game? every other game in my best of PC set works except this one.
Legend
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums