Home » LucasArts Forums » Support » PC

Thread: Star Wars : The Force Unleashed (steam version), Impossible to save.

Permlink Replies: 3 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: Dec 25, 2009 7:27 AM Last Post By: Emkay1001
Emkay1001

Re: Star Wars : The Force Unleashed (steam version), Impossible to save.
Posted: Dec 25, 2009 7:27 AM   in response to: Stringfellow5 in response to: Stringfellow5
    Click to report abuse...   Click to reply to this post Reply
OK, so I assume you are an advanced user. Are you familiar with a tool called Process Monitor? It's a utility that allows you to monitor what (almost) any process activity on your system.
So, you would run Process Monitor (this will start the capture), start the game (it will run slower), get to the point in the game where it should save, exit the game, stop the capture. The use the Process Monitor's filters to show only the game's executable. Then take look for the file that should be saved and check the operation status. It might provide a hint. If you need help in this you can save the Process Monitor trace and e-mail me. Perhaps together we can figure it out.
One other thing for you to try is to create a new Windows user, log on as this ser and check if the game saves when you play the game from new account.
Stringfellow5

Posted: Dec 23, 2009 1:00 PM   in response to: Emkay1001 in response to: Emkay1001
Thank you for your reply.
Unfortunately, I have already tried these methods without success.
Emkay1001

Posted: Dec 23, 2009 9:26 AM   in response to: Stringfellow5 in response to: Stringfellow5
I don't have the game myself but here goes...
Is your Documents folder on a different drive than system drive (for example Windows and the game is installed on the C drive and the Documents folder is on the D drive)? If so, try to change the Documents folder location back to C drive.
Right-click on the Star Wars The Force Unleashed folder in Documents, choose Properties then click the Security tab in the new window.
Check which groups and users have access to the folder. The SYSTEM user, the administrators group and your username should have full control of the folder. To find out if it's so, click the user name in the upper section of the Security tab and look at the lower section. Check if there is an icon next to "Full control" under the "Allow" column. Check this page for reference.
Stringfellow5

Star Wars : The Force Unleashed (steam version), Impossible to save.
Posted: Dec 22, 2009 12:57 PM
Hello, sorry for my bad English.

When the game starts, the following message appears :
"Failed to load the backup is damaged and unusable" (Translation from french version)

This message refers to the backup file SWFTU.BIN that can be found in the directory
Documents \ Aspyr \ Star Wars The Force Unleashed.
Indeed, this file is completely empty (0 KB)

I have tryed many solutions :
  • New Installation
  • Remove the property read-only file SWTFU.BIN
  • Run the game in administrator mode
  • Disable UAC
  • Replace the file for backup found on the net.

This last method can effectively start the games without an error message, but as a backup and try to write to the file SWTFU.BIN, this results in a crash and back windows.
This new file is empty again.

The Pacth 1.1 dont fix this problem.

My system is Windows Vista 32 bit SP2.
The machine is still at it recently and able to run correctly realize most current games.

This problem is encountered by many players. Is there a solution?
Legend
Helpful Answer (5 pts)
Correct Answer (10 pts)

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums